Wednesday 3 January 2024

Calming cream parian ware

Twelfth Night is almost upon us & after a few days of heavy storms & rains, we have been mostly at home so it is opportune to pack away the festive items while I can. I don't like to rush the packing away. 

I am always sorry to see the glistening tree in our lounge go; the gentle lights are very calming but it is a rather large one so the space is welcome again. 

The inglenook fireplace has a large garland that stretches over it, again with lights & a some  additional foliage tucked in to make it fuller. The brick fireplace looks rather bare & dark but it is also safely stowed for another year. 

The diningroom twig tree (from Hobbycraft some years back) has had the delicate South African beaded ornaments packed away again. I love looking at it whenever I pass through. The ornaments a reminder that my heritage spans several countries & cultures.

We have enjoyed the conservatory the most again - the Spode Christmas Tree items always well used & the Emma Bridgewater ones are  always on hand to take snacks, mince pies or more. I love that we use the items directly from the sideboard so it changes as things are used; functional & decorative. 

The sideboard is a mixture of these many styles & they work together so well,  & they are on hand to be well used over the 5 weeks they are up. 

The little tree with its exquisite bird decorations on the console table has also done its duty for another year.  The sideboard was cleared  ... 

What to put on the sideboard? 

I am rather partial to the calming creams of parian ware. The creamy pottery was produced in the Staffordshire potteries around 1850 and its elegance was in great demand. 

Mine is creamware rather than parian ware, these are some on the sideboard. I added in a few green items, but I have very little green china so it is really just a few things to lift the creamware.


The 3 lionhead bowls on the top by Wedgwood, they appear often around the house. Two have a delicate pink flower pattern while the third is larger & plain creamware

Wedgwood & co ltd pheasant bowl with the pretty green border. This one is backstamped with the unicorn mark for Pinnox & Unicorn works, Tunstall (so an old one)  

Spode Wicker Lane basket weave plates with their pretty border design. They are often used with pretty pink china. 

Vintage uranium jug & glasses (gifted by Olive) 

There are also two vintage creamware jelly moulds - they are very sweet & often appear in the kitchen window with herbs. 

A calming change that I will no doubt add to .... 

The front door swag of fresh greens I foraged & made, is always the last thing to come down. The Advent candles have been so long burning this time that I will let them burn down when I take off the front door swag & that will conclude this festive season 


Are your decorations down & packed away, or are you like me & taking it down in stages? Does anyone else find that their packing boxes multiply each year? How can it need more boxes when packed away (especially as I have not added to the stash? )

Thank you for stopping by & spending time with me, 

Dee 🏡

No comments:

Post a Comment

♥ Hi - thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoy your visit♥.