Tuesday 16 March 2021

A long overdue update on the sample / hospitality plate ...

Hi everyone, welcome to an update that was sitting in my ‘drafts’ for a way too long. 

I shared a vintage sample plate I owned with the hotels in Southern Africa on it. This was made in the Potteries of Stoke on Trent as a commercial sample, to be taken around the various establishments by a salesman so orders could be taken by hotels etc for their crockery. It was known as hospitality ware.

The wares from our Potteries were highly desirable & were shipped all over the world. 

Many of the places on the JE Heath plate were known to me personally & that was my interest in the plate. Soon after I blogged it, I was contacted by the Pottery Museum in Stoke to ask if they might acquire it for the exhibition & I had no hesitation in donating it to them as it showed the reach of the Staffordshire Potteries during the 19th & 20th centuries. 


The curator kindly followed up with a picture of the plate in the exhibition - it is quite a thrill to know the plate was where it should be.  The plate I donated can be seen in this image from their website on hospitality ware 


Some examples of modern hospitality ware still made in Stoke on Trent 

As per a request, these are some of the hospitality Southern African stamps on the plate I donated (photos taken before I sent it off) 

















Thank you for your time to stop by & read;  each & every visit & comment is much appreciated, be safe all please 💖

Dee ~💕~

No comments:

Post a Comment

♥ Hi - thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoy your visit♥.