Monday, 2 January 2017

A comforting post Xmas mincemeat pie

Hi everyone

Do you find that you still have well intentioned festive things to use up in January?

With a very busy end of year mainly due to visitors & being away for a Baltic break, I did not do all the baking I usually do for Xmas so had some bits still lurking accusingly in the cupboard.

I was invited to share New Years eve at my Godsons,  so I decided to bake something.

I have had festive mincemeat pies (made with a fruit mix for those not familiar with it) but had not made it. However, with a good jar of the prepared mincemeat, a roll of bought shortcrust pastry & some additional glace cherries & soft fruits on hand, I decided to make a tart.

This is how I did it:

Butter & flour a loose bottomed flan / tart dish & preheat the oven to 200C

I mixed the shop bought festive mincemeat, some cut glace cherries & a soft fruit mixture in to a bowl & added a little splash of sherry to it.


I rolled the shortcrust pastry thinner & cut it to fit in to the prepared flan dish.  Prick the base of the pastry with a fork  all over, then rest in the fridge for 30 minutes to reduce shrinkage.  I rolled the remaining pastry between the paper & put it in the fridge to firm up again.


Cut a greaseproof paper circle to fit on the pastry & fill with baking beans to hold the shape.

Bake for 10 minutes then remove the baking beans & paper & bake for a further 5 minutes, take out of the oven & cool.

Fill with your prepared fruit mincemeat mix.  I used the additional pastry offcuts from the fridge to make a thin disk to cover the fruit (mainly so it wouldn't spill over the pastry case).  Using a small star shaped cutter, I cut out some stars, then repositioned the cut out stars on the pastry top.


This disk shaped top was placed on top of the pie, the edges gently firmed down,  a cherry was popped in each star space, then it was baked for 20 minutes till a golden colour.

Icing sugar was sieved over the top then it was ready to go with to our get together where it was well received.


This was the first time I had made it & it is certainly going to be made again ...

Dee ~♥~

1 comment:

  1. With more than 10,000 domains under management of PK Domain, we are the one of the most reliable web hosting providers of Pakistan. Our hosting packages are much economical, which are in everybody reach ranging from the Web Hosting in Pakistan for professional websites, business hosting for the small-oriented business circles to professional web hosting for larger organizations. Visit www.pkdomain.com.pk to get information about cheap domain hosting prices.

    ReplyDelete

♥ Thank you for visiting my blog & taking the time to leave a comment♥.