Thursday 26 October 2017

Preparing the poinsettia for the festive season ....

The clocks go back this coming weekend & then it suddenly feels like winter rather than autumn as the days shorten.

While changing the sideboard to a more Autumnal look, I saw my poinsettia still on the console table in the conservatory. This poinsettia was a gift from 3 Christmases ago & it has soldered on quite happily since then. I have never, ever had one that has survived that long because they are fussy plants who drop their leaves if they are too hot, too cold, too light, too dark, too draughty, too wet, too dry ....

Hmmm, am I going to be the only one to have a green poinsettia at home?

I came across this article in the gardening section of a newspaper & thought - why not?



So it was decided that the pointesettia will be placed in the warm but very dark under stairs cupboard (along with my shoes) every night to force it to develop the red flowers / leaves, hopefully by Christmas.



Every morning it comes out & goes on a bright windowsill to get the light needed. This routine started this week & will hopefully yield the required results.


Will it work?  That I don't know but I am always up for a challenge & this one is interesting so do stop by again as I will be updating you on the progress of our poinsettia ...

Thank you for stopping by & taking the time to read & leave a comment.
Dee ~♥~

2 comments:

  1. Your plant looks so healthy....when I plant mine, they don't do as well. I have 2 out of three left from last year that have survived in pots by the front porch. I hope they bloom also! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!!! I have one, since two years ago, it has grown a lot, but, I'm afraid, it is so green as yours. I hope it is red for Christmas.
    Hugs from the South of Spain

    Marina

    ReplyDelete

♥ Hi - thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoy your visit♥.