Sunday 29 January 2023

Completing my mixed media creative challenge ...


 I recently posted my efforts with a mixed media creative challenge

The workshop, which I did on previously when it was run (free) involves mark making with 2 colours - one set of marks very densely, the other with more negative spaces. They are then cut up & reassembled before being stitched to unify them in to anything you like. 

I decided to make mine in to a long scroll & there were moments when it just didn't work, when my blending stitches to blur the boundaries literally just blended & all the work could not be seen.

However, it is always useful to think of what you can do & I decided to couch a long, gold cord across the 140cm work. It followed the curves & patterns made by the paint marks & then there was a way forward again. 

Because the green & gold was so similar, I brought in red threads, stitches & fabric to lift it. I had to do a lot more stitching to make it all flow but it worked. 

Finally after almost 2 weeks on this project, I pressed it (face down on a towel so the stitches were not flattened) then made a cotton  backing part  to attach the scroll to.   

The finished length was then attached to the wooden reel with some stitches at the end to hold it all together. I had sewn two long lengths of the same couched gold cord to the end so it could be wrapped around it all to hold it as a scroll. These were decorated with large pearly beads to add weight to it. 



I am pleased with the finished result & being a nice compact scroll means it is easy to keep. 

Have you taken on a   challenge that is out of your comfort zone? Tell all. 

Thank you for stopping by, for reading, subscribing & sharing ... 

 Dee 💕

No comments:

Post a Comment

♥ Hi - thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoy your visit♥.