Tuesday 14 November 2023

Gone to Earth...

I have passed the bust of the Shropshire author Mary Webb dozens of times in Shrewsbury as it is close to the statue of Charles Darwin. They are both Shropshire born & bred & their names are remembered in our county town. 


Today was one of those days when the wide open spaces & fresh air of my favourite place called & we packed a flask of tea & our sandwiches & headed south to the Long Mynd, a place close to where my ancestors lived. I have loved this space for years ... 

These ponies live up on the hills, along with really hardy sheep & I am always pleased to see them. 


We took a different way back, passing through the little village of Snailbeach , famous for lead mining (I will do a separate post on that) . 

Click on the images for a larger image you can read more easily. The church caught my eye with a Mary Webb exhibition. 



Some of the Shropshire places mentioned in her novels 

 An interesting map & a family tree ... 



Mary Webb's family tree - she is the child on the far left 





A familiar Shropshire landmark of the Devils Chair 


Gone to Earth 



Long Mynd, the high point in our Shropshire Hills. It rises above the pretty town of Church Stretton 




The Golden Arrow 




Her second novel Gone to Earth was filmed in Shropshire in 1950 & it  is a rather dark one but the phrase has endured - Gone to Earth. That is what we did. 


This is the little church with its exhibition to her. I love that I love many of the same places as she did - I need to read her other books... I hope you have found her interesting too, thank you for your visit. It is always appreciated. 

Dee 📖

No comments:

Post a Comment

♥ Hi - thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoy your visit♥.