Friday 17 November 2023

In favour of flasks & picnic baskets ...

Who else loves the freedom of popping your coffee & sandwiches in a basket before heading out to explore? 

My parents & grandparents often picnicked in the rurals in Southern Africa. The only requirement was that it was safe (from snakes & wild animals) and it was somewhere a picnic could be laid out. 

Growing up, picnic baskets were a familiar sight in our home & on the long car trips with my parents & grandparents. There was always steaming flasks of tea, coffee or soup in winter, along with sandwiches, sausage rolls, frikadelle (meatballs) and then a cake or biscuits like crunchies that travelled well. 

South Africa had concrete tables & benches along the long roads with a safe pull in. My mother always took a colourful cloth to put on the table - it was a welcome stop to stretch our legs & enjoy some treats.  

I own several baskets, including this open one I made a colourful lining for.

On a visit to South Africa, my late parents took us to one of the many traditional markets & they bought this basket for me. It is a traditional design with a wipe clean lining. I’m sure there are hundreds of similar ones but this is mine, gifted with love & used often.


This is another basket that is handy as the top is open so it can fit several flasks, a tin of snacks & the picnic blanket too. 

My friends & I sometimes take a basket of goodies on our walks - each contributing something & a real treat to find a good spot to enjoy the treats from. 




I still like to take a pretty tea towel to set it out on. 


This week hubby & I just packed some coffee & a bacon butty & headed for the hills. By the time we got to Long Mynd high up in the Shropshire hills, it was raining steadily. We had our picnic in the car, watching the local ponies & sheep outside, Church Stretton far below us in the valley. 

Are you a fan of the humble picnic basket? What do you pop in yours? Share your favourites please.

Thank you for stopping by, your visits are always appreciated. 

Dee 🧺

No comments:

Post a Comment

♥ Hi - thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoy your visit♥.