Monday 1 December 2014

Welcome December

Oh my goodness,

Does anyone else get a surprise when December suddenly arrives? Of course it does not arrive any quicker than any other month, yet it always brings with it a sense of urgency to get the festive times started.

It usually means that the Christmas cards should have been written for overseas posting already & the local ones will soon start dropping on to the mat too.

Our neighbours all exchange cards at Christmas & those arrive with a 'clunk' on the mat; I always breathe a sigh of relief to see a name whose card I have already written. I keep a discreet stack ready for those who have beat me to it ….

The arrival of December also means that I should have got our fabric advent calendars out & on the inglenook fireplace. Advent calendars are a tradition started by my late Mom some 26 years ago when my eldest daughter was just a baby & since then they have had an advent calendar each year.

Putting favourite chocolates in each pocket ….


I always have an advent candle that we burn at night too as darkness falls - a time of quiet reflection as I watch the candle burn down to the next number. Like most of us, I have taken my eye off the flame at times only to find that I have skipped a few days …


Do you have family traditions that you observe over the festive season?

Thank you for stopping by; I hope December brings much joy to the start of your festive season  ...
Dee ~♥~

2 comments:

  1. I am counting 12 days left of school....then we are out for two weeks! Yeah! Merry Christmas, Dee and Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynda, this post skipped by me. I hope you have had a good start to your Year. I look forward to catching up on your activities via your lovely blog.

      Delete

♥ Hi - thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoy your visit♥.