Thursday 11 December 2014

St Nicholas

Hi all

I hope your planning & preparations are going smoothly. I do not stress about the whole festive season because I think the meaning reaches further than the turkey dinner & the presents under the tree.

While updating our conservatory sideboard, I looked around the house for some leather books to compliment the plates & remembered this gorgeous book I recently bought.


I was drawn to the beautiful leather cover - however, there are several pages inside where images or part images have been cut out. A great shame but it is still largely intact so I took it home with me.

St Nicolas is naturally associated with Christmas so I browsed through it while arranging the sideboard … time lost in the joy of beautiful pages is a treat.




Old book plates are very detailed & interesting


December 1881 … a glimpse into the past


Cap & bells


A beautifully detailed nativity scene


Who else loves worn leather books with gold lettering?


The books as part of my vignette


A vintage primitive pastoral scene & a worn book go well together



Lovely to just look at & enjoy the things in the home …


Gorgeous leather books with tooled & gilded covers - there is something really tactile & lovely about the timeless quality of them.  Are you a book fan? Do you find yourself losing time when in their company? Tell all ….

Thanks for stopping by, reading the blog & for taking time to comment.
Dee ~♥~

2 comments:

  1. Oh,Dee, I have way too many books......primary- early readers are my favorite, esp.Lois Lenski children's books. Yours is awesome, 1881! Well done vignette!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynda - I do not think we can ever have too many books heehee I just love old books, some of the covers & illustrations are sooo beautiful. Please do a blog post on some of yours as I am not familiar with Lois Lenski - share please. x

      Delete

♥ Hi - thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoy your visit♥.