Sunday 17 March 2024

Up to date with circular stitching ...


I have really enjoyed the challenges associated with the Circular Stiching challenge.  The monthly project comes with advice & it is something new which I am enjoying. 

I have completed the first three now. 

Snow blanket 

Conceal & Reveal 

Renewal 

The third one, Renewal, started as a circle with the open blanket stitch & I was minded to leave an open spot, off centre to distract from the circle but then it just came out  & I was tempted to redo it. However, we can over think these things & sometimes, the first thoughts are worth going with or nothing would ever be completed.  The Spring colours are almost citrus - definitely a reminder of the bright hues that appear in Spring. 

The next part was to add the backing fabric, the edging & the stiffening between the two layers. 

The stiffening was ordered in as it is the stuff used on pelmets etc. 

The brief said to use a strong thread for the blanket stitch edging as the final assembly of all 13 parts needed a robust edge. 

I cut all 13 front, back & stiffening pieces & put them in a folder - so much easier than faffing with it each month & it means they will all be uniform in the end. 

I decided to use a machine edging stitch first to hold it in place, did 3 sides, then trimmed & inserted the stiffening fabric before finishing the stitching. 

I had fortunately found a really large reel of thick sewing cotton that will do for all the edges so set about doing each of the three projects. I always seem to have a moment when starting the blanket stich that leaves a less than tidy join - I must practice that bit - any hints please? 

Once they were done, I thought it would be nice to have a label on the back of each with the project prompt so I decided on dark fabric & the cream thread already on the machine. 


I bought this machine last year from a friend who was upgrading, & the lettering stitches are useful but not amazing. However, they do the job & after having used them just once previously, I had to use the machine manual to remind myself of the technique. 


I trimmed them to size then used fabric glue to attach them to the top of the reverse side of each one. I rather like that ... 

It will soon be the next one & I can't wait to be challenged again. This is sewing / creating purely for enjoyment & advancement & that is surely a good thing. 

Thank you for stopping by & taking the time to visit with me. All comments, shares are much appreciated. 

Dee ๐Ÿ“๐Ÿงต๐Ÿชก

No comments:

Post a Comment

♥ Hi - thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoy your visit♥.