Thursday 1 February 2024

A circular stitching project …

 I know, I know - this is the second project I have on the go, alongside my 100 day one which is making progress & I will post an update soon. 

I am eternally grateful to artists & talented people who share their skills online & then encourage us to push our comfort zones. 

I saw this group mentioned in a sewing group I already follow on Facebook & was immediately inspired to join just before it closed to new members so that everyone would be at the same project stage - phew. 

The brief is eleven 6x6 inch squares that will have a different brief each month related to circles & the seasons. 

The first task, a snow blanket,  needed a 4 inch circle to be woven with fabric strips, then embroidered with a snowflake. The colours were restricted to white or creams. I find that restricted colours takes out the colour choice, leaving more time for creativity.  I cut or tore some fabric strips for the first part.

The fabric strips for weaving were placed on fabric stiffener, then they were ironed on to fuse them into a cloth shape. 

Once the 4 inch circle is cut, the circle is attached to the backing fabric - I machined it as I was late to start this section & I thought hand stitching the circle on would take too much time. 

The template for the circle was easy to do to make 6 lines, then embroidered in creamy white thread before being whipped with a slightly darker colour. 

I think the pearl bead finishes the top off nicely. Some French knots & seed stitches finished off the outer space. It still needs to be backed & a stiffener sheet put between the two layers. 

I admit to being rather inspired by this very manageable project & the project for February popped up - I can’t wait to start on that, it is a good one. 

Do stop by for an update & your comments are always appreciated 

Dee 🪡🧵📍

No comments:

Post a Comment

♥ Hi - thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoy your visit♥.