Sunday 17 September 2017

Winter salad greens for my planters

Hi everyone

I have neglected my blog over the summer due to an extended holiday. However, now it is time to get some of the jobs done ahead of Autumn.

My 4 tomato plants survived being left outside while we were away - fortunately, we had regular rain which kept them going, Hopefully they will still ripen because there are a lot of small tomatoes on the plants.


I shared my new salad planters with you earlier in the year - they have provided us with a plenty of salad greens over the summer - it has been brilliant to just open the back door & pick enough for a salad - the simple things in life are often the best!

My Elho planters have been absolutely brilliant & I am determined to make the most of them.

On my return from holiday, I knew it was time to redo them with the hope that I would have enough greens & salad leaves for winter. Do you also eat salad all year round?


 The straggly, last lettuce leaves were pulled out, then it was time for a trip to the local garden centre.

However, they only had kale plants or some swiss chard with its bright, colourful stems.



Fortunately, I found some salad seeds in their sale section so perhaps all is not lost.


The planter with the kale plugs has the first of the salad seeds sown - these are meant to be ready in 25 days so I will see how that goes ...


I love the bright stems of the chard - the ones at the back are from an early planting but they have not done too well so they will stay for the time being. 



These two planters have swiss chard in them ...


Planted & covered up again with their lovely covers that keep the soil warm & the plants protected. They benefit from radiated warmth from the house walls too in this sunny, protected spot.


The green planter on the left by the water butt, has the kale & first salad greens in it ...



A quick rain shower waters the planters before I had a chance to put the lids back on ... 


The Elho planters were a great idea for growing some bits at home.  I will give you an update on their use in winter ... 


Do you grow any bits of your own at home? I find it hugely satisfying to see things progress. Thank you for stopping by & visiting my blog ...
Dee ~♥~

No comments:

Post a Comment

♥ Hi - thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoy your visit♥.