Monday 1 April 2019

Classic blue & white of Burleigh Pottery ...

It is no secret that I love china of all ages & colours but the classic blue & white is a Spring favourite because it brings a freshness to the decor after the festive red & gold colours

I love mixing up patterns & even era’s  which brings it right up to date. While having some visitors recently, we decided to visit the Burleigh pottery factory at Middleport in Stoke on Trent. Middleport potteries is on a canal & it featured as the place that the Great British Pottery Throw down was filmed.

Stoke on Trent is the home to British potteries, the town are famed for their bottle kilns & fine china wares.  I took pottery classes many years ago & it is a craft that I love.



The shop with its familiar patterns & colours ...


It was a lovely day doing some of my favourite things - exploring the origins of various china patterns & methods. 


Views from the upstairs looking towards the canal which runs alongside the factory.


We enjoyed a cream tea upstairs surrounded by lovely wares ...


The factory & museum plays tribute to the many patterns it is famous for ...


Dainty grape hyacinth are potted up in the pretty bowls

The twinkling lights soften the views between the industrial buildings


Many of the original moulds are on display; they are interesting as the shapes are still familiar


How can you not love this space?


The lovely thing about all the patterns & hues all together give a clue as to how they can be used & displayed together


It was a fascinating visit which I really enjoyed because of my love of blue & white wares. It is the success story of how many of these Potteries had to reinvent themselves to be financially viable.


 I hope you share my love of such lovely things, and that it has inspired you to mix it up. 

Thank you for your company, stop by again soon,
Dee ~💕~


2 comments:

  1. I am so jealous!!! That would be a visit for me..... I might never come out!
    Thank you so much for sharing with us!!
    Blessings,
    J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I share your passion Jaybird, it was so lovely to see the history & the beautiful wares in such beautiful colours & patterns - so gorgeous.

      Delete

♥ Hi - thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoy your visit♥.