Monday 20 July 2015

Time for some banana bread …

Hi everyone

Do you hate wasting food?  I looked at my fruit basket this morning & realised that the bunny & I had not munched our way through enough bananas this week. Vivaldi absolutely loves them but somehow ours have gone soft & neither of us like soft ones.

A quick peek confirmed that we had everything needed to turn them in to banana bread.

This is my tried & tested recipe that can easily be doubled & bits added to it. I use it as the base for my date, banana & cranberry muffins too so it might look familiar - it is a recipe that works well!

Banana bread (I doubled up to make a loaf & 12 muffins)

125 g salted butter at room temp
120 g of soft brown sugar (add less if doubling & it works just fine)
2 eggs
3 ripe bananas, mashed
240g flour (I used wholewheat & white organic mixed)
1tsp baking powder (I used self raising flour so left this out)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon (I added 1tsp mixed spice too)

I also add about 100g of other things depending what I have in the cupboard
                                       - dates
                                       - dried cranberries
                                       - nuts

today I added about 100g of ground almonds as that was the only nuts I had & it was good!

Line a loaf tin with paper (I buy the ready made ones) & line a 12 muffin tin with papers (I doubled the recipe)

Preheat the oven to 175C
Cream the butter & sugar until light & fluffy.
Add the beaten eggs with a couple of tablespoons of flour if it looks like it is separating
Sift in flour, BP (if using normal flour) the spices & the mashed bananas.

Spoon in to the tin / muffin pans & bake the muffin size for about 30 min, the loaf for about an hour.

They are done when a sharp knife comes out clean. Cool or just eat right away hot with butter as we did today.

These freeze well - slice your loaf before freezing then you can have a slice anytime you want ….


We ate some hot out of the oven with some butter over tea with friends & it was good. What is your standby recipe?

Dee ~♥~

2 comments:

  1. oh I must try this I love banana bread mmmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi - it is a good one, especially if you add some spice you like too. Thanks for stopping by ….

      Delete

♥ Hi - thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoy your visit♥.