Sunday 14 April 2024

Mid Spring is circular nesting time …


Thank you to those who have followed my Circular Stitching progress. It is a year long stitch along with a new prompt given at the start of each month. 

The size is a uniform 6x6 inch square with the circle being 4inchs. It has a Facebook group & the leader gives the prompt & suggestions then it is open to interpretation. 

The first 3 were 

Snow blanket 

Conceal & reveal 

Renewal

This months is Mid Spring - New life 

The suggestion was a circle that was half nest half free with 3 oval eggs. 


I used some wool to depict the nest materials but being a lover of felting, mine just seemed to naturally become a felted nest. Fortunately I have a good selection of roving wools & other felting wool that I can use for inspiration & to felt with. 

We do not know how the 12 panels will be assembled at the end & this one chunky nest might be problematic but we will cross that bridge when we get there.  The fabric for the fronts were all cut at the same time from an off white linen so that there would be a uniformity to the finished product. However, I find the linen leaves threads on the edges & with the instructions saying the edges need to be firm at the end, I have opted to sew a row of machine stitching then the blanket stitch to give it more strength. 

The edges were machine stitched to the backing on 3 sides, the stiffner shape was inserted, the 4th side stitched then it was blanket stitched by hand all around as per the instructions.  I will still do a machine embroidered label for the back, but it is easier when there are a few to do. 

I bought a large roll of creamy white thread at a charity shop & am keeping it in the container for this project which will give a uniformity to the end product. It gives a neat finish & the line of machine stitching near the edge helps the edges from fraying too much. 

I am rather pleased with the effort so far, I know there are things I would change but sometimes I think it best to just go with your gut. However, the bulkiness of the nest might be a problem when the final 12 pages are assembled so ....   I hope you have enjoyed this challenge, thank you for your company, 

Dee 🧵🪡📍

No comments:

Post a Comment

♥ Hi - thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoy your visit♥.