Thursday 26 March 2020

Home baking: scones

Hi everyone

We are all in the same boat so I am sharing some tried & tested recipes I use at home. I have also used this recipe with my student who does food technology with me & it was successful.

 It is important to see the positives in the situation - we all have the luxury of time so enjoy it.

My regulars will see more of my patriotic tea towel in the coming days ...


Scones are quick & easy to make - this is the ingredients needed in a pictorial image

- 250g self-raising flour (1 cup)
- 1 rounded teaspoon baking powder
- 40g softened butter
- 25g caster sugar (I left this out)
- 1 large egg
- about 100ml milk
- Optional - grated cheese & a little mustard powder


Preheat the oven to 200C (fan oven)
Put the flour & baking powder in a large bowl. Add the butter & rub it in with fingertips till it resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar (if using)
Beat the egg in a measuring jug & top up with milk to about 100ml of liquid. Keep a small amount aside for brushing on the top.
Add the egg & milk mix to the dry ingredients & stir until you have a sticky dough.
Turn the mixture on to a lightly floured surface & pat out to about 2cm thick.


I halved mine in two parts & added the cheese & mustard to half a mix & gently mixed it in.

Turn on to a floured board, pat to about 2cm then cut out using a scone cutter.


I use silicon baking sheets (from Ikea) as they come off without sticking. Brush the tops with the egg / milk mix you saved so they brown.

Bake at 200C for about 8-10 min, then cool on a wire rack.


 Freshly baked scone - nicely browned


You have to use proper butter with scones; I served mine with jam & additional grated cheese 


 Make coffee & then sit back & enjoy.


I hope all of us who are in self isolation / lockdown stay safe, adjust your thinking to realise this downtime is so valuable so rest, relax, rejuvenate

Thank you for stopping by, I look forward to your company & comments, tell me if you make them, 

Dee ~💕~


No comments:

Post a Comment

♥ Hi - thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoy your visit♥.