Wednesday 31 May 2023

Perfecting some new stitches in a baobab tree ...

Hi all, 

Do  you have an iconic image that pops in to your mind when you think of certain time frames in your life?

My early life was spent across several Southern African countries & one of the abiding images is the majestic baobab tree.  They are distinct, easily seen from afar with their bulbous shapes; some tall & upright, others stumpy & huge in size, all very easily identifiable . 

They have long fruit that has become a super / health food

I recently spent a week again doing an online Making Zen workshop courses - 20 talented artists sharing their knowledge & expertise over the week with videos, online workshops & workbooks to help. 

I have long admired the artist Mirjam for her creative stitching. Last year, she taught an original blanket stitch that I have not yet mastered & this time she taught us 'stacked running stitch' & it has opened up a world of possibilities. 

I decided to do a baobab tree combining several different stitches, while keeping the thread colour quite muted. 

I often buy skeins of thread in local charity shops because I love the colours, & it adds to my stash so I have colours on hand for my creative time. These variegated threads seemed perfect. 

Using skeins allows you to take 1-6 threads from each & I combined several colours to give a slight colour change as recommended by Mirjam. 

I then did her closed blanket stitch on top & added in a few fruits too. The base needed something so I added a bolder few bits of grass. 


I think it might still have some beads but it is a very relaxing project to hand stitch & the colours are very easy on the eye. 

What do you think? Do you have an iconic image in your mind? 


Thank you for your company, stop by soon for some of the other Zen projects, 

Dee  ðŸ’•

No comments:

Post a Comment

♥ Hi - thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoy your visit♥.