Sunday 23 June 2024

A special afternoon tea

Tea is something that I have always loved - my parents had wonderful teas from Tanganyika & the highlands of Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe).  They served loose leaf tea in a ceramic pot that had a lined silver cosy type purpose. The rule was a tea spoon of tea each & one for the pot. 

Some might remember me sharing a lovely afternoon tea on a canal boat I had last year for my friends birthday on a canal boat. It was great fun watching life drift by. 

We were recently invited to a local hotel for an afternoon tea. It is a popular rural setting, close to a Roman settlement & church 


The hotels large conservatory was set with tables for the 50 guests & I was delighted to see beautiful China.  It was not long before the beautiful food came out. 

The order of the tea is always 

-  Selection of sandwiches (we had 3 different fillings)


- scones with jam & clotted cream. 
They were the best scones I had eaten in a long time, light, flavoursome & so good 


- selection of little cakes
The cakes & little puddings were as good as they looked &  I struggled to do it justice. I do love a pretty tea cup & was glad to have the white & gold cup, I have a similar one at home with a D monogram on it. 



All beautifully presented & served with generous pots of tea or coffee. 

It was an absolutely delightful afternoon in interesting company. The hotel is a popular rural wedding venue & it was a welcome treat. 

I hope you have enjoyed this glimpse of a quintessential ritual. Everything really was as delicious as it all looked. 

What is your choice of cakes for tea?  Something rich & indulgent or just a favourite Victoria Sponge?  I sometimes make scones at home, a choice of cheese or plain ones is a real treat, best eaten hot out of the oven. 



Do stop by again, thank you, 

Dee  🍰🥮🥪🫖☕️

No comments:

Post a Comment

♥ Hi - thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoy your visit♥.