Wednesday 21 December 2022

The Holly & the Ivy - bringing the greenery in ....

 It is time for me to take my garden clippers & head off to the local hedgerows to cut some holly & ivy to bring in to the house as a traditional greening or to  'deck with halls with boughs of holly ... '

We have had a wreath on our front door since the first Sunday of Advent but I love to go one step further & bring in some fresh greenery in the last week before Christmas. 

I have brought out the portmeirion candlestick & dishes with the traditional images ... 




This custom has pagan origins and the familiar carol is well known & it is common to see it on cards & decorations at this time of the year.  I picked some fresh holly branches at my friend today ... 

Holly & ivy are evergreens so they remind us of the coming Spring, the return of the light after a dark winter period. The prickly holly leaves & blood red berries are sometimes associated with the crown of Christ & the blood shed. 

Mistletoe is also closely associated with it, sprigs are still hung under which you can kiss. This was used by Druids in time past as a symbol of joy & peace.  Enemies had to form a truce if they met in woodlands under which mistletoe grew ... 

I love lighting a candle in this candle stick that is the classic holly & ivy,  I have brought in fresh holly & ivy as is traditional. It is good to observe small rituals associated with this time of the year. 

Thank you for your time; each visit is appreciated, 

Dee ~💕~

No comments:

Post a Comment

♥ Hi - thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoy your visit♥.