When I stepped away from a lifetime in various educational settings in July, I set my mind on doing more of the things that interest me.
I am a firm believer in lifelong education.
I have always been a creative person, filling my time with activities that interest me or advance my skills via workshops.
A local one came up for mixed media nature collage. I have not done a lot of mixed media, this one in covid times was interesting & I enjoyed it.
I am always happy to just have a go at new things, taking advantage of the skills of the tutor to guide through the processes.
I have visited this shop recently which is how I came to know of her courses. She has only been open since the summer but her varied workshops appeal to me.
We prepped our canvas to work on the inside of it as a frame - gesso & matt medium mixed with plaster of Paris powder to give it texture.
These were set aside to dry while we explored the lovely selection of papers, card & fabrics in our pack.
Using paints, pens & selection of objects, we covered the sheets in marks that would be used in our final collage.
I restricted myself to just black & white paints & markers so I could concentrate on the marks rather than colours which can be distracting.
We then used plaster of Paris & gesso with the lace on our marked sheets to give a texture. Some of our sheets were a little wet but it worked fine. We used our sheets to make banners / strips around twigs / make paper beads to use in our nature collage.
Then came the assembly / artistic part. We looked at Netty's examples for guidance but I do tend to overthink so I got to it, tearing, gluing, arranging my papers, twigs & paper beads in a way I liked.
Because I had limited my colour palette, I found it surprisingly easy to arrange the mixed media in to a design that I liked.
The gesso base was tacky so the papers stuck & this meant I had to be decisive in the placements which really helped to galvanise the thought process.
We overran time wise, soon 3 hours was past & I must say, I am rather pleased with this first effort using these techniques.
The table certainly showed our creative efforts with things out everywhere.
What I always find fascinating in workshops is that we all started with a very similar pack of papers & fabrics, yet the finished items are always very different.
It really shows how creativity works.
I will still add some accent stitches on once the canvas is completely dried.
This will need my awl to pierce the canvas - another decisive move because you have to be certain where you want the hole.
That helps to combat analysis paralysis that often happens.
I am already eyeing up some of the other workshops.
However, I have two very different ones booked already for October elsewhere ...
Lifelong learning continues, as it should.
Thank you for stopping by, it is always appreciated.
Dee ๐จ๐️๐ผ️๐๐๐งต๐ชก




No comments:
Post a Comment
♥ Hi - thank you for stopping by, I appreciate your visit♥.