Thursday 6 April 2023

Shropshire’s waterways ....

I love the eclectic motor ways of old - the canal system that winds its way through our county of Shropshire. It was such an important part of moving goods around, especially the fragile pottery goods from the many factories that the county is known for. The iconic bottle kilns are still evident - a nod to the past ... 

It was my birthday on the weekend & my request was simple - to revisit the tiny Whittington castle & then to visit the canals. I grew up with space & it is space which I love ... 

We found the Montgomery canal which connects to many of the other canals, particularly the spectacular Llangollen canal with its majestic aqueduct ... 

We came across the Frankton Locks - a series I did not know about. The locks raise & lower boats across the countryside. They are essential. 



Last May I joined Ms M & family on a canal boat for a week - it was the first time I had slept on one or got the hang of the canal gates & locks. 

The Frankton Locks are a narrow section with deep, high gates - these date back to the 1790’s which was an amazing achievement. 




We had a lovely walk along the canals & I could just feel my mind clearing in the bright sunshine.

A perfect birthday for me - just being out in nature, doing what I enjoy doing. 

Where is your happy place? Tell all & thank you for stopping by. I appreciate each & every visit & a share is always appreciated. 

Dee  đź’•


No comments:

Post a Comment

♥ Hi - thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoy your visit♥.