Saturday 1 April 2023

Apple & citrus cake

 Sometimes you need a quick cake to use as a pudding - my go to recipe is the easy Victorian Sponge that uses just 4 ingredients that most kitchens already have. 

I peeled & cubed 3 normal eating apples to put on the top.

The sponge mixture is:

180g self raising flour

180g caster sugar

180g butter (I used a plant based butter) 

3 eggs

Preheat oven to 170-180c (fan or normal oven) 

Cream the butter & sugar well, add the eggs one at a time with a tablespoon of flour to stop the eggs curdling. Add the remaining flour & mix well - don’t overmix. I added a teaspoon of vanilla extract for flavour. You could add mixed spice or cinnamon to the mixture if liked. 

I buttered & floured a deep pan - put all the mix in, smoothed the top then put the cubes apples on top, sprinkled a little brown sugar on top then baked it for 30 min at 175c, checked it & gave it a few more minutes until a skewer came out clean. 

While it was baking I cut up a small orange, a pink grapefruit & a lemon. I brought them to boil in a pot with enough water to cover it.  Once it was soft, I squashed tge fruit with a masher to release the flavours, added some soft brown sugar & boiled to use as syrup on the top of the hot cake when it came out the oven. I strained it through a sieve to use. It made about 150ml of syrup. 

I pricked holes in the top of the hot cake & gently spooned most of it over the cake. We had it after supper with natural yoghurt or ice cream. It was really delicious warm & generous slices were enjoyed …

I hope this has inspired you … 

Dee 🥮

No comments:

Post a Comment

♥ Hi - thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoy your visit♥.