Thursday 30 April 2020

We are all in the same storm, not the same boat ....

Hi all,

In a previous post as we were all trying to process the Covid-19 storm that enveloped us, I put some of my thoughts to paper in this post.  I said we are all in the same boat, I have now come to realise that we are in the same storm, but in our own boats, trying to weather it best that we can.


We are now on day 38 of lockdown, longer for those of us who have been self isolating before that.

It is a strange storm we find ourselves in & it is an adjustment between the pressure to ‘use your time well’ or to rest & realign; to just find the way through it all with some sense of sanity.

Some are self isolating on their own, with pressing financial & family needs - with pressures to home educated & to juggle many things.

Some are living in fear of domestic violence & new reports hint at teen violence towards parents who are trying to enforce lockdown at home - very frightening & isolating.

Some are loving the isolation, others are social beings who hate being alone - all of these scenarios are valid, none are right, they are all forms of the crisis we are living through.

I love the inspirational words of Edgar A Guests ‘Don’t Quit"




I am unused to having so much free time on my hands without any form of commitment.

I have spent my entire life in education & I love the feeling of achievement it brings,  the feeling that what I am doing is worthwhile. Too many of us women would just be lost in the mundaneness of doing house work. That does not feed my soul; I like the feeling of achievement, to be appreciated for what I bring to the table & to know that I make a difference, to be appreciated.

This is the same for many working women where we have a sense of self that is built entirely on our own efforts,  without reference to our marital status or home situation. This feeds our soul - even if it is an ordinary occupation, it is something that completes us, especially once our children fly the nest & they have their own lives to live; we have to complete our world so that they are free to explore their own world.

This is how it is for me - I know that I am a really good teacher / tutor & I have made a difference in my work & it is largely appreciated.  I love how excited my students are to see me & to share their news. I love how parents make room in their homes for me to work & how they make sure I have a hot cuppa on a cold day & an iced drink in Summer.  I love how they openly include me in their lives ...

I also have many hobbies & skills that I love doing so I am using some of my time to do that.

So my boat is different to your boat,  I am a self employed, now unemployed person who does not know when they are going back to work. There is uncertainty in my storm even if it is not in the same boat as you - the storm is rocking us all.


Life is as it is, not as we wish it to be. We cannot do the things that we want to do, but we can do the things that we need to do.  How are you all coping with life under lockdown? Look after your friends, check up on each other & take care of each other - even the strong ones.


Thank you for stopping by, I look forward to your company & comments, 

Dee ~💕~

No comments:

Post a Comment

♥ Hi - thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoy your visit♥.