Sunday 22 May 2016

Art from unusual sources

My regular readers know that I am a bit of a restless soul - I love to change things about because I believe that you should enjoy your home & the things you have. My style is definitely eclectic with strong global / tribal leanings because we have lived in many countries due to work.

Some years back, my sister visited & gifted me some plastic shopping bags from South Africa that were made by WoolWorths (the UK equivalent of Marks & Spencer.) This was WW art bags - showcasing South African artists.

The bags were carefully rolled but not used & when I recently came across them, I knew it was time to enjoy them for their artistic value.


You can feel the energy of the Tea Party by Lundi Mduba - the sense of cake & gossip being dispensed in equal measures ...


Selwyn Pekeur is an acclaimed artist who 'observes incidents in everyday life, exaggerates and represents them to us in a style of compelling vigour and humour in his art.'



 I framed one from each side for myself & they really are iconic South African images that bring a smile to my face with their bright colours & cheerful subjects.


 They sit on our picture shelves between our two doors, along with various other bits of art that we enjoy.


A family visit by the Hatters was surprising. My b-i-l collects various art too & everytime he passed them, he commented on how he enjoyed them.

I knew that the second side of the bags would be going to a good home. This is how I did the art.  Ikea have lovely easy to use, light frames.  I could not justify the cost of professional framing for all my art changes so I use affordable Ikea frames, all in black to keep a constant colour in our displays.


The image was cut from the bag & then glued on to the back paper that came with the frame, then trimmed to fit.


I photocopied the back art detail to paste on to the back of the frame.


The pair of images, framed up in black frames, ready to be gifted to another art lover ...


These are my ones on the picture shelves - affordable art from unexpected sources. 


If you enjoy an image, find a way of displaying it.  I hope this inspires you to enjoy various forms of art which is by definition is ...

the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.

Thank you for stopping by, I would love to see what art you have in your home. 
Dee ~♥~

No comments:

Post a Comment

♥ Hi - thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoy your visit♥.