Wednesday 28 June 2017

Lavender in the garden at home ....

I love lavender which I always find so pretty with its tall bracts, lovely colours & enticing scent but unfortunately our heavy clay soil at home means that it just dies off in the garden.

The RHS site advises

Lavender


Lavender (Lavandula) is an easy to grow, evergreen shrub that produces masses of beautifully scented flowers above green or silvery-grey foliage. This drought-tolerant plant thrives in a sunny border, container, herb or gravel gardens.

I have decided to grow some in pots on the patio where they will hopefully do well & I will be able to pick some for baking & decoration.  In my experience, they are anything but easy to grow ...

I had bought some lavender plants - 2 different kinds - as well as some lovely purple, lilac & white night scented stocks too - they were going to share the pots that I took the fig trees out of  when I repotted them (one thing always leads to another ... )

I always pot up on the little wall by our utility - close to the side alley where the potting soil is kept ...


The lavender plants with their elegant tall flower steps being repotted. The two yellow flower pots are a gift for a friends garden  ...


Some night scented stocks in shades of purple, lilac & white will add Summer colour & fragrance while the lavender plants establish themselves ...


I love the contrast, yet the restricted palette which is echoed around the garden ...


The two pots are against the warm, sunny patio wall where they will hopefully thrive ...



 I am cautiously optimistic that the lavender will grow well in the pots - time will tell. Another job ticked off my gardening list; I am aware that we have technically had our Midsummer Solstice so the days shorten at 4 minutes a day now ...

Do you garden according to your soil type, or do you also try to grow plants against all odds?

Thank you for stopping by & taking time to read & comment.
Dee ~♥~

4 comments:

  1. Lovely garden Dee, I also like lavender, at this moment I have two pots with lavender in my terrace, but Summer is devastator in my area, nearly 40ÂșC or even more some days, and wind is worse when it blows from the West,so it's very difficult getting healthy plants. Good luck, I hope you get it and I would like to see more pics soon.
    (I hope my english is good enough, please if you find mistakes let me know)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh Marina, that is really hot. When I visited Spain a few years ago in the summer, it was 44 & way too hot so I know what you mean. Your blog pictures are always amazing & your English is really good. Thank you my friend x

      Delete
  2. We had a spring drought in FL, but all is well now with summer showers. My favorite s are geraniums, corn plant and wandering Jew. Wish it were cooler so we could grow lavender!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely to get that rain Lynda - our weather has been dry too & the lawns are not looking their best. I love your choice of flowers - geraniums need more attention here in winter so I don't really grow them which is a shame! I hope you are all well & your grandchild is fine? x

      Delete

♥ Hi - thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoy your visit♥.