Sunday, 6 September 2026

Roaming with the Romans in Dorset ...

 

I do love history & while in Dorset, I convinced Ms M to take a little trip along the Roman Fort at Eggardon Hill near them.  

Her sweet dog Tuppence would enjoy a walk too so the three of us set off in the car for the hill fort that I had not visited in about 10 years. 

Roadworks on several of the country lanes sent us on detours & then a Road Closed sign was at the hill fort. 

The countryside views are lovely up there, you can see for miles on a clear day, rural bliss. 

However, I turned & followed the road with the fort on my left, we carried on past it but the road was closed so we turned around & came back up to the little road by the hill fort. 



We parked up & took Tuppence for a walk along the stony single track, aware that people have trod the same path for hundreds of years.

The space around the Roman fort is rumoured to be haunted & footsteps are heard at night, along with other strange things.

Nothing bothered us & with the road closed & us parked out of the way, we had a lovely walk. Tuppence was in her element, dashing about & barking at who knows what. 

We picked some juicy blackberries in the high bushes to feast on as we walked back up to the parked car. 

Because it was deserted & lunchtime, we decided on a car boot picnic. We had all travelled back to Dorset from a holiday up north & still had interesting snacks in the boot - orange drinks, crisps, nuts, biscuits, little chocolates etc so we gave Tuppy some water & we enjoyed a picnic next to Eggardon Hill, looking out over the countryside where Romans had marched & lived hundreds of years previously. 

We carried on to the pretty hamlet of Wynford Eagle & had a wander around the little church yard with family connections. 

Some sheep in the field next to the church took great interest in Tuppy who was munching on grass. 

I think they assumed she was a lamb because of all her fur & the fact she was grazing on grass ... 


These impromptu moments are the best - enjoying the lazy days of summer doing things we enjoy. 

I hope you have enjoyed the visit with us. Do stop by again soon, 

Dee πŸš™πŸΆπŸ›️🏺🧺


No comments:

Post a Comment

♥ Hi - thank you for stopping by, I appreciate your visit♥.