I used to bring back windfall apples from the family home in Dorset to use over the winter. An apple cake is especially good for using up apples & Olive used to make the most delicious Dorset apple cake for a treat.
I sometimes add apples to my standard Victorian sponge recipe to use as a quick pudding, or have made an applesauce cake too from this recipe with windfall apples.
While in Dorset, Ms M offered some fallen apples & I selected some that were not bruised or already enjoyed by the birds.
Once home, I peeled & diced some. With the better ones, I peeled, carefully cored then cut them in to rings. These were briefly brought to the boil with a cinnamon stick, removed with a slotted spoon & open frozen on wax paper in the freezer. They are stored ready for a cake in winter when rings look good on the top.
The diced ones were lightly cooked with a cinnamon stick & a little sugar, then frozen in 4 foil containers to use in cakes or as apple sauce with pork over the winter.
A good way to save gifted apples to use later on.
How do you use up apples? Any good recipes to share please?
Thanks for stopping by, it is always appreciated
Dee 🍎🍏🧃


No comments:
Post a Comment
♥ Hi - thank you for stopping by, I appreciate your visit♥.