Sunday 5 November 2023

The sideboard needs festive bunting ....

As soon as it is November, thoughts turn to the exevitable march of time & the festive season. Last year I made some felt decorations that the little ones can put on the tree & carry about safely. Friends asked for some too so I did adult ones with beads, ribbons & bells to pop in to Christmas cards & they were well received.

I made some little bunting for my sideboard for the coronation of King Charles & I loved the little fabric flags on the shelves. 

I thought I might do something similar for the festive sideboard. We always use the plates, bowls, mugs, dishes etc off the shelves over the festive season so it has to  be practical yet stylish because we will be looking at it for several weeks. 

I love hand sewing as all the regulars know - the calming rhythm of the needle & thread is something I have always done. It does not need to be perfect (it isn't) but it needs to be something that sparks your imagination & is special .... 

I had a vague idea that I wanted them to be little images that are made up of fabric & stitches, lightly padded & all different, yet in a similar colour palette. 

I sketched some ideas on a paper, found my container of Xmas Fabrics & started to work.  The first one was slow but then the last three were all cut, hand stitched with various embroidery threads from my collection then the edges were hand sewn with my favourite blanket stitch. I left a little part open while doing the edges so I could lightly pad them before finishing. Completed in one afternoon, finishing the stitching just as the light faded.

I know that in the morning light I will be tempted to add beads, little bells or such embellishments to them still but that makes them personal to me. 

They are the first of them as I now have several ideas still in my head.  I am fortunate that I can leave the things on the conservatory table for some days to work on which helps as I can work on them between other things. Will you be making anything for the festive season? Tell all ... 

Thank you for stopping by, please share so I can hopefully grow my blog a bit more ... 

Dee 🧵🪡

No comments:

Post a Comment

♥ Hi - thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoy your visit♥.