Sunday 16 June 2024

#6 Circular stitching from source to sea


Thank you to those who have followed this circular stitching challenge - we are now half way through the 12 month challenge.  When I started in January, it was something quite different to what I usually do but thought it looked interesting.  Read about it here ... 

#1 A Snow blanket 

#2  Conceal & reveal 

#3  Renewal

#4  Nesting time alternative nest

#5 Blossom Time 

However, to keep myself on track I cut 13 each of the fronts, the circles, the backing & the stiffening fabric & put it in a separate plastic along with the thread I used to blanket stitch all of them. My thought was I was more likely to do it if it was all ready. 

The 6th challenge is from source to sea

The suggestion was a circular shape suggesting the route of a river, but as always, it is a suggestion only. 

I had a small FQ piece of sea fabric I had found a while back in a charity shop & thought it would be a useful base to cut the circle from. I have been away along the coast in Scotland so that influenced my design. 

I cut a larger circle then pleated & folded it to an image I preferred then pinned this & ironed it to hold it in place.  I  think the fabric is more interesting with the fabric folded or pleated because it is more dramatic. 

The circle I cut from this was a bit wonky due to the pleating but that gives the shape some fluidity. 

To follow the suggestion of circle or water, I decided on a rather large embroidered wave, the type you would see in mid ocean, perhaps in the North Sea. 

I used a very restricted set of threads - variegated dark & light blues, variegated yellows, white & some brown embroidery threads. If I have too much thread choice, it takes too long to decide on each & that takes away from the creative process. 

I embroidered for about 2 hours from start to finish & it is a good effort. The only fabric addition was a strip of dark blue linen suggesting the river joining the sea; this was frayed & blended in to the scene. I think it works well. 

The whole square was then machine stitched on 3 sides to the backing fabric, the stiffening square inserted then the 4th side stitched up. The whole square was then overstitched with blanket stitch in the same thread that the other 5 have. I still have to do the name embroidery on a black fabric for the back of the last 3 ones - I will do them all at the same time as I have to set up my sewing machine to do the embroidery. 

I am pleased to have stayed on track with the challenge, half way through & it is challenging in a very good way.  

Thank you for stopping by, I always appreciate your comments, 

Dee  

No comments:

Post a Comment

♥ Hi - thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoy your visit♥.