Wednesday 22 February 2023

Hand sewn baby gifts ...

Last year, our family welcomed in a new baby girl arrival. Like my mother & grandmother, I like to make something by hand. I can do many things but do not have a special talent other than having a go. I had made the soft padded cushion for the little lads wooden climbing frame in 2021 as part of his Christmas present so it was right to make something for her too. 

I bought Beatrix Potter fabric in pink, cream & blue & started a padded shield shape with hearts  to go with it.  I adorned these with [born in 2022] buttons and then the multitude of booked holidays meant it was put aside.  Sometimes it is not quite clear how to proceed with a project, what it needs or how it will be used. The little padded pink hearts were finished off with the 'born in 2022' buttons and a pretty blanket stitch around the edge. I love how blanket stitch finishes off the edges nicely .... 


I finished it in 2022 & because the family were going north for a break, they left it with me. 


To go with this I decided to use some more of the Beatrix Potter fabric to make a crinkle tag toy after I seen this promoted on a craft shop I use a lot. I ordered in special crinkle plastic & some toy squeaks too for the little banners on the above decoration. 

I made two of the crinkle tag toys because little ones love ribbons & anything that makes a sound. I put the squeaker in a fabric pouch between the two layers of crinkle. To make it easier to sew together, I enclosed these layers in a thin white fabric that could be inserted in the patterned outer fabric. Sometimes you just have to make it up as you go along, to see what works best. It was fiddly to turn it all right way through the opening. I top stitched it all around too so that the ribbons were secure. 

The second one was from some lovely ladybird fabric with ribbons in the colours to match. The ribbons are in colours to match the fun ladybirds - pinned in place for stitching. 


The fiddly part of pinning the ribbons in place before stitching ... 



 Are you one who also likes to make something? My late grandmother always crocheted special baby coat hangers for newborns so I like to put time in to a project. They have been sent on to the little one - I hope she will enjoy them.  Thank you for stopping by, have you made anything similar? Tell all .... 

Dee 💕

No comments:

Post a Comment

♥ Hi - thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoy your visit♥.